Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Being human means being alone



When we give people a sticker with ‘I am SGL’ logo and ask them to wear this as a signal of belonging to SGL community there are usually two reactions. First is the reaction we like most: what a cool idea, give me the sign. Second is less favorable for us: I’m not that desperate, it is not that  bad with me. I don’t want others to see that I am without a partner.
And this second one made me wondering why it is so that we are ashamed of being alone. Not everyone can tell you how it is to be married, or how it is to be a parent but almost all of us can tell you how it is to be alone. So, why do we try to neglect this experience, pretend that it has never happened to me? Why, when alone, we feel like kind of a losers? Is it biology or culture, or maybe both? I will not give a simple answer to that. What I want to say is that being alone is a part of our human existence. If you are alone right now, and you look around with a feeling that there are almost only couples, you should be aware that:
-        -   firstly, no there not only happy couples around you, it is your brain playing with you and showing you only this one thing on which you focus the most
-        -   secondly, almost all of this people at some point of their life where alone, some of them will be alone also in future
-        -   thirdly, there are lots of interesting, funny people around you, who are also alone
-        -   and last but not least, there are many things which you can do to stop being alone, if you want to, and first of them can be to go out and …, but this is totally different story.


    If you are interested in joining I am SGL community go here:  http://www.iamsgl.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment