Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Being single – what I learned about this phenomenon from my sociological research? by Magdalena Wachnicka

I would like to introduce you to the basic definition of the phenomenon of being single and my efforts of ordering them. I would like to describe social and cultural basis of the phenomenon, to get to know singles opinion on the choice of such way of  life. I want to define positive and negative aspects of the phenomenon and its scale. www.IamSGL.org
Today I will tell you about resources of my research. The first one was questionnaire research. The second one were talks on the internet forum for singles, where people who live alone talk about the new and occurring more and more often phenomenon.
For my research I chose an international company because most workers of the firm are young people just after finishing college with a few years of professional experience. Desire to broaden as well as obtain new skills, devote their work time quite often at the cost of their private life. So they are a potential group of singles - ambitions young people who are oriented towards a career and put their private life into the background. ( I am SGL on YouTube )
The hypotheses in my work were - women make a decision more often to be a single, the higher level of education the respondent has got the more often he makes a decision to be single, inhabitants of big cities make a decision more often to be single, there is a correlation between the picture of happiness or misfortune of own family and making a decision about being single, there is a correlation between the way of spending free time and making a decision to be single. 

The results of the questionnaire proved my hypothesis, but gave also a few surprising results. It seems that even in strongly family-oriented Polish society, singles are more and more perceived as a fulfilled people with different way of living and not as old-fashioned spinsters. Additionally, most of the young singles is not especially willing to use dating sites or events organized especially for singles. This new and growing phenomenon is definitely worth looking close to.

- Magdalena Wachnicka

No comments:

Post a Comment